FIRST ALUMNI BENEFITS
Based on Brandeis University survey responses, FIRST provided a positive experience that gave participants an opportunity to be involved in a challenging team activity, build relationships, learn new skills, and gain a new understanding of, and interest in, science and technology .
- FIRST awarded $14.7 million in scholarships in 2011
- 99% of FIRST alumni attend college compared to national average of 65%
- FIRST improves attitudes towards TEAMWORK, interest in science and technology, and SELF-IMAGE
- FIRST provides challenging experiences and POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS considered essential for positive youth development:
- 89% indicated they had “real responsibilities“; 76% felt they had a chance to play a LEADERSHIP role; 74% reported that students made the important decisions; 96% reported having FUN; 91% felt they “REALLY BELONGED” on the team.
- FIRST increases participants’ interest in SERVING OTHERS: 65% reported that, as a result of FIRST, they wanted to help younger students learn about math and science; 52% reported that they had become more ACTIVE IN THEIR COMMUNITY
- FIRST teaches COMMUNICATIONS, INTERPERSONAL, AND PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS, and how to apply academic skills in real-world settings:
- 94% reported learning important communications skills, such as HOW TO LISTEN and respond to other people’s suggestions ; 94% how to talk with people to get information; 73% reported learning HOW TO MAKE A PRESENTATION in front of people they did not know
- Students also learned TEAMWORK and interpersonal skills:
- 92% reported learning HOW TO GET ALONG with other students, co-workers, teachers and supervisors; 90% learned to work within the rules of a new organization or team; 88% reported learning new ways of thinking and acting from others; 73% learned ways to stop or DECREASE CONFLICTS BETWEEN PEOPLE
- Students learned problem-solving and time management skills:
- 93% how to solve unexpected problems, 90% how to MANAGE THEIR TIME UNDER PRESSURE, 94% how to weigh issues and options before making decisions, 88% how to GATHER AND ANALYZE INFORMATION
- Students learned to apply traditional academic skills in real-world setting
- Overall satisfaction with the program was high–95% of the alumni rated their experience as “good”(27%) or “excellent” (68%); 46% of respondents indicated that FIRST had been “much more influential” than their other activities during high school
FIRST ROBOTICS TEAM 3574
2011 Cascade Regional ‘Rookie All-Stars’ and ‘Highest Rookie Seed’ award winners
WE ’ VE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO!!!!
WE ’ VE GOT SPIRIT!
HOW ABOUT YOU?!?!?
Yes, I want to support the HIGHLINE HS HIGH TEKERZ FIRST Robotics TEAM 3574!
2011 Cascade Regional recipients of the Highest Rookie Seed and Rookie All-Star Awards
All donations are Tax Deductible and handled through the Highline High School PTSA which is a non-profit (501 c3) organization. HHS PTSA 9.5.235, EIN#91-1117891